Friday, October 07, 2005

WHAT WAS BURNED INTO MY BRAIN?

What is racism?

During the 60's I attended a University in Los Angeles and as a journalism/polysi-prelegal major took a required “Journalism and Libel” class. The university was a very racially diverse campus. The course professor was just graduated from a “name” law school also in Los Angeles. He had not passed the bar so in the mean time he was “teaching” to earn money.

I never missed a class, did well on the assignments and tests, but when the grades were passed out I received a “C.” Needless to say I was upset. As a reporter for the school paper I mentioned my pique to other student reporters and it instantly became an animated discussion in the school newsroom. As it turned out every other person of my race also received the same grade... “C.” I had an 3.6. Those of different races or ethnicities in the department revealed they’d received “B” or above.

Nothing that could be done according to our faculty advisor on the school paper. The grade stood and kept me off the dean’s list that semester.

The professor had a smirk on his face when I confronted him on the issue. It was obvioulsy payback time. It was also the “60s” and Vietnam and the growth of a new label: “evil white man.”

The Professor was Black. The University was California State University at Los Angeles.

Upon graduation, I applied for a job at the NBC-TV-owned station in Los Angeles. With a recommendation from a great professor in the Journalism Department, I was able to secure an interview with the station news director. After introductions, I sat down. He said our interview would be short. I presented my resume and experience. He looked at me and what he said is forever burned into my brain. He said, “Son, you’re the wrong color, the wrong sex with the wrong surname.” I was a white male. Interview over.

Again I ask. What is racism?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Racism: A primary determinant of human traits that differentitiates capabalities and superiorities of a particular a race. Therefore if you are a white male with more capabalities,you are discriminated against.
A friend of mine's company was having layoffs. There was a black woman who was cronically late and lacked job performance. Therefore she was not layed off because they were in fear of a lawsuit.And that was the only determination that she was able to keep her job.
Has the racecard been taken too far? Sure it has.
Are white males becoming the minority? Yes they are.
I also worked at a company where the hours were 9-5 and one man who was black would do nothing after 2:00. Why? Because his work was finished. When repremanded by my supervisor he went to human resources and claimed discrimination(that was in 1978).
In turn the supervisor was questioned and he was able to continue his routine while the rest of us had to work till 5:00.
So there you have it NG. Racism at work. Oh but Bush is the big racist! I am sooooo fed up.
TOS

NewsGnome said...

It's starting to get old. NG

Anonymous said...

Bush and his Mommy two perect racists! Got boots?

Anonymous said...

How true, did you know Prescott Bush was arrested for trading with Nazi's during WWII? What a family talk about Empie building.

Anonymous said...

What about Bennett what a perfect Nazi he is. The quote was taken out of context though. But the substance truly reflects his belief that African Americans are doomed from the womb to a life of crime. What does NG stand for, Nazi Guy?

NewsGnome said...

LV
Please write back when you've learned more than two words...racist and Nazi. I know it's hard for you, but with a dictionary and concentration you might have an interesting discussion, if you can learn to stay on point. You must have had a hard time in school.
NG

Anonymous said...

Cranky tore you a new a hole. It was GRRRR...eat. And actually I made the Dean's list more than once. I don't know who LV is. There are many liberals you know last time I contacted you was about two weeks ago.

Anonymous said...

Let's see how safe you feel walking through a black neighborhood if you're white. Especially if you're a woman.
We used to live in a predominatley white neighborhood. Alot of Black people started moving and if you were doing something in front of your house and they would walk by and try to say things to intimidate you. One time they threw a firecracker on my neighbors lawn when they were sitting outside. Lucky for my neighbor their ex-marine son-in-law was there and confronted them. Later they came back with an older guy and a pit bull and he went right up to them and basically let them know he was not afraid of the dog.The point I am trying to make here is alot of people who cry racism really don't know the meaning of it,especially if they haven't experienced it. We've all moved since. We were basically forced out. So I feel I was discriminated against as a white person. Maybe Bennet had a similar experience.

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous:

Poor neighborhoods with high crime rates support criminals of all races. Crime has nothing to do with skin color. Bennett may not even realize he's racist. I credit you with being honest. I believe you could not have possibly grown up in the 20 th century without experiencing some degree of racism.

Anonymous said...

Our neighborhood wasn't poor though. We were a middle class neighborhood. I see your point though.
So do you agree racism comes in all forms of races,not just white?

NewsGnome said...

So, Cranky's been visiting my site according to you. I find that so interesting because he told me to get off his blog, and since he lies and censors I did. Now he has to visit my site. I find that hilarious. Where did he do the "ripping a new one." Afraid I missed that one.

Bennett is not a racist. "He may not know he's a racist." That's pathetic. What's irritating is that racism no longer had a rational definition since the accusation is thrown around so much it's lost whatever meaning it may have had. The Bennett flap is a perfect example. You and the fibs and media have mis-quoted, half-truthed and truncated that exchange to oblivion. He didn't say what you fibs claim, he said. It's just more of your fiberal lies.

I wonder what you would have done if a conservative professor had given you a "D" because of your fiberal views. You'd have screamed to the top of your lung...bias. You've a racist, you just don't know what color you're racist against.

NewsGnome said...

PLEASE USE A HANDLE SO WE CAN ALL RESPOND TO SPECIFIC COMMENTS.

THANKS NG

NewsGnome said...

Hey "Cranky tore" your post also displays a perfect example of twisting a statement, just as was done to Bennett.

Glad you made the dean's list more than once. Obvioulsy, your "Cs" were in English so maybe it would have been more than just twice had you given writing a little more time and effort. But you do illustrate the way fiberals twist a statement. You say: "I made the dean's list more than once" thus attempting to imply that I didn't.

What I find intereting is the implied guilt you're trying to project. It's so typically fiberal. But then a fiberal wouldn't know the truth if it bit him in the tush.

Anonymous said...

THEY CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
TOS